Networking: European Vaccine Stakeholder Meeting & Vaccine R&D Infrastructure Roadmap
TRANSVAC looks to the future and is exploring the implementation of a road map towards a sustainable vaccine research infrastructure in Europe beyond TRANSVAC. To this end TRANSVAC organises a series of European vaccine development stakeholders working groups committed to formulate a European vaccine development Roadmap with the main goals to:
- Create an environment in which innovation, technology development and knowledge transfer can thrive, and
- Establishing infrastructures that will secure vaccine R&D and manufacturing in Europe.
The foundation for this Agenda for Action was laid during the TRANSVAC European Vaccine Development Stakeholders Meeting in Brussels in October 2010. In the frame of TRANSVAC, EVI brought together representatives of vaccine manufacturers, biotech companies, academic research, regulatory authorities, product development partnerships and funding agencies to:
- Identify the gaps and needs in vaccine research and development in Europe, and to
- Identify which activities or structures could improve the development of new vaccines and technologies in order to sustain and strengthen European leadership in the field of vaccines.
The first workshop was held in Brussels on the 7th of October 2011. This first focused on two main topics:
I) How to sustain and increase support for translational vaccine research?
II) Training in vaccinology in Europe.
The second workshop was held in Brussels on the 13th of June 2012 and focused on two main topics:
I) What are regulatory challenges in vaccine development and how can we solve them together?
II) How can the 'One Health' concept help us during the quest for new and better vaccines?
Group picture taken at the second European Vaccine Stakeholder workshop in June 2012.
The third workshop will take place in Brussels on the 20th of June 2013 and will focus on discussions regarding the final version of the Roadmap. Among the speakers we will have the pleasure to hear:
- Prof. Yves Levy, Special Advisor to the health office of the French Minister of Higher Education and Research (France)
- Dr Michael Watson, VP Global Vaccination Policy, Sanofi-Pasteur/Vaccines Europe (France)
- Prof. von Gabain, Chairman of the EIT Governing board (Hungary)
- Paul Huyts, Director-general for Ministry Public Health (The Netherlands)
- Dr Christina Cassetti, Program Officer & Team leader to identify gaps in vaccine research and development, NIAID/NIH (US)
- Dr Odile Leroy, coordinator of TRANSVAC, EVI (Germany)
If you have specific questions on the TRANSVAC stakeholders working group workshops, please contact transvacinfo [at] euvaccine [dot] eu (Dr Mark Geels.)